Back to top

Good Academic Standing/Double Major with Civil or Biological Engineering

Good Academic Standing
Undergraduates in Environmental Engineering are in Good Standing if they are making acceptable progress toward completion of the requirements for graduation. Acceptable progress in EnvE is defined as meeting the following requirements:

  • Semester GPA ≥ 2.0.
  • Cumulative GPA ≥ 2.0.
  • A semester GPA ≥ 2.0 in Core EnvE Courses, Design Courses, Major-approved Electives, and Engineering Distribution Courses (Tech GPA).
  • 12 credit hours each semester.
  • No failing grades.
  • *At most one grade below C- can be used to fulfill the EnvE degree requirements in the following four categories: required Core Courses, Design Courses, Major-approved Electives, and Engineering Distribution Courses.

*Grade(s) below C– in these courses, beyond the first, will require that one or more course(s) be repeated. (The College of Engineering also requires that each course in the required mathematics sequence - 1910, 1920, 2930, 2940 - be passed with a grade of C- or better.)

Students who fail to achieve good-standing status may receive a warning, be required to take a leave of absence for one or more terms, or required to withdraw. The specific action in each case is based upon the pertinent circumstances as well as the student's previous academic record.

EnvE’s policy about academic action procedures provides for two separate reviews of the student's record by the Program’s Committee on Academic Standards, Petitions and Credits (CASPAC). The first review is to identify those students who have not made satisfactory progress during the term and to assign academic actions where deemed appropriate. Students who receive actions are notified by letter sent to both their home and email addresses. This letter includes a request for information about possible extenuating circumstances and an invitation to appeal the committee’s action. Appeals must be in writing. If an appeal is made, CASPAC will review the appeal and render its decision.

Double Major with Civil Engineering or Biological Engineering
Students in Environmental Engineering wishing to pursue a double major with Civil Engineering or with Biological Engineering must have a program plan that reflects distinct thrusts in the two areas.  Among the five courses used for Design and Major-approved Electives, the five used for the BSCE or the BSBE degree should include four courses not used for the core program or Design and Major-approved elective for the Environmental degree program, and vice versa.  The extra courses may be used as advisor approved electives.  If interested, please complete the double major form available in Engineering Advising (180 Rhodes Hall) or at the undergraduate coordinator’s office (HLS 221 or RRB 207).